On today’s episode, we discuss how to make a good confession. We also provide some tips on making a good examination of conscience and how to persuade others to frequent this often neglected sacrament.
Here are some resources mentioned during the show:
Prayers to St. Joseph before work
Little Office of the Blessed Virgin Mary (free online)
Little Office of the Blessed Virgin Mary (Baronius Press) – Please support Baronius Press! They make wonderful products. They also have a beautiful version of the Knox Bible which we have mentioned on the show.
The Noonday Devil: Acedia, the Unnamed Evil of Our Times by Dom Jean-Charles Nault
My Confession Book for kids
Dan mentioned the Mea Culpa app for assisting with an examination of conscience. Unfortunately, it was later discovered that this app is no longer available in the Apple appstore. We will let you know if we come across another similar app.
Saint quote of the week
“The confession of evil works is the first beginning of good works.” – St. Augustine
“But every Lord’s day gather yourselves together, and break bread, and give thanksgiving after having confessed your transgressions, that your sacrifice may be pure. But let no one that is at variance with his fellow come together with you, until they be reconciled, that your sacrifice may not be profaned. For this is that which was spoken by the Lord: In every place and time offer to me a pure sacrifice; for I am a great King, says the Lord, and my name is wonderful among the nations.” – The Didache
Recommended reading or listening
The Power of Confession YouTube video by Fr. Mike Schmitz
Find an examination of conscience book, pamphlet or app that will help you make a good confession
Challenge of the week
1. Keep a journal when making your nightly examination of conscience to track your spiritual growth. Refer to episode #20 on keeping a prayer journal. It may be best to use an electronic device with password protection to ensure that nobody accesses your journal.
2. Go to confession!!!!
3. Invite a friend or family member to go to confession with you. Pray to God for help in determining the best way to approach this subject with that person if they have not been to confession in a long time.
Dinner Table Questions
1. When was the last time you went to confession?
2. What do you think helps to make a good confession?
3. What are some good resources for making an examination of conscience?
4. What keeps you from going to confession? Embarrassment? Fear of being judged by the priest? Feeling overwhelmed when trying to quantify all of your sins if you have not been to confession for many years? What would it take for you to overcome those obstacles?
5. Have you ever heard a story of someone having a bad experience in the confessional? What went wrong?
See history of all episodes at SonsOfThunderPodcast.com
Do you enjoy the show? Please leave a review on iTunes by clicking here
Do you have a comment or question?