On today’s minicast, we discuss the foster father of Jesus and patron of the Universal Church, none other than St. Joseph!
*Prayer of Parents to the Holy Family*
O Jesus, only-begotten Son of the Eternal Father, well-beloved Son of the Blessed Virgin, and foster Child of Saint Joseph, we most fervently implore Thee, through Mary Thine ever-blessed Mother and Saint Joseph Thy foster father, take our children under Thy special charge and enclose them in the love of Thy Sacred Heart. They are the children of The Father in Heaven, created after His own image; they are Thy possession, for Thou hast purchased them with Thy Precious Blood; they are temples of the Holy Ghost, who sanctified them in Baptism and implanted in their hearts the virtues of faith, hope, and charity.
O most loving Jesus, rule and guide them, that they may live according to the holy Catholic Faith, that they may not waver in their confidence in Thee and that they may ever remain faithful to Thy love.
O Mary, Blessed Mother of Jesus, grant to our children a place in thy pure maternal heart! Spread over them thy protecting mantle when danger threatens their innocence; keep them firm when they are about to stray from the path of virtue; and should they have the misfortune of falling into mortal sin, oh, then raise them up again, reconcile them with thy Divine Son and restore them to Sanctifying Grace.
And thou, O holy foster father Saint Joseph, do not abandon our children! Protect them from the assaults of the wicked enemy and deliver them from all dangers of soul and body.
O dear parents of the holy Child Jesus! Intercede for us parents also, that we may bring up our children in the love and fear of God and one day attain with them the Beatific Vision. Amen.
*St. Joseph, Guardian of the Most Precious Treasures*
1. “The Kingdom of Heaven is like a treasure buried…” (Mt. 13:44). If there is truly a precious “Treasure,” whose value is greater than any we can imagine, it is the one that the Eternal Father gave to St. Joseph: The custody and protection of Jesus and the Blessed Virgin.
2. For this reason, there is no more honorable title for St. Joseph than that of guardian because this name reveals to us God’s plans for him and the reasons for which God adorned him with the greatest graces that any man has received. Indeed, he was entrusted with:
- Being the shield of the virginity of the Blessed Virgin Mary – which required the virtue of angelic purity.
- Defending the Eternal Son of God – which required an unwavering fidelity.
- Preserving the secret of the Heavenly Father – which required a virtuous and selfless silence.
3. Meditating more on these entrusted tasks:
- On the fidelity of the Holy Patriarch in guarding the Treasure that was entrusted to him. St. Joseph and Mary were already poor, but they had a house; as soon as the Child Jesus came into the world in Bethlehem, they didn’t even have that.
- God Himself sent a star whose appearance would lead adorers to Jesus, which, in reality, awakened the hatred of Herod. The anguish of the flight into Egypt ensured then. Think about being faithful, like St. Joseph, in the trials of our own life.
- St. Joseph, who with Mary, had the honor of honors caring for Jesus, who shared with her the greatest graces, lived hidden, concealing graces and honors. Let us learn that we can be very great in silence.
4. So let us not neglect to pray his prayer often, to entrust our most urgent intentions to him, and to venerate his image when visiting a church. If we are truly devoted to him, there will be nothing we could ask with faith that he will not obtain for us from his Divine Son.
*Memorare to St. Joseph*
Remember, O most chaste spouse of the Virgin Mary, that never was it known that anyone who implored your help and sought your intercession were left unassisted. Full of confidence in your power I fly unto you and beg your protection. Despise not O Guardian of the Redeemer my humble supplication, but in your bounty, hear and answer me. Amen.
Close of the show from A Meditation on the Holy Sacrifice of the Mass by Michael Sestak which can be found on YouTube.
See history of all episodes at SonsOfThunderPodcast.com.
Do you enjoy the show? Please leave a review on iTunes by clicking here. Click on the “Ratings and Reviews” link to rate us (5 stars would be great!) and also write a review. We would really appreciate it. If you click the link from an iPhone or iPad, it will open your Podcast App. Please click the “Search” icon at the bottom and search for Sons of Thunder Podcast. Click the “Reviews” tab and then “Write a Review”.
Do you have a comment or question for the show?